Small Drawing Room

Small Drawing Room

The Small Drawing Room was built in 1855 during the second stage of construction. The name "Drawing Room" is derived from the "Withdrawing Room", which dates from the late Middle Ages, a room to which women withdrew, leaving the men in the Dining Hall.

The large and small Drawing Rooms are used for morning and afternoon teas, small receptions and pre- and post-dinner drinks.

Guests for Luncheon or Dinner at Government House are presented to the Governor in this room and then they move through into the Large Drawing Room.

In the past, ladies would ‘withdraw’ from the men into the ‘drawing rooms’ after dinner and engage in ‘lady-like pursuits’ while the men smoked and continued to drink in one of the dining rooms. This state of affairs continued until the 1970s.